Looking to reduce your caffeine intake or the number of Starbucks visits? I’ve got the perfect solution for you: chicory root tea.
Chicory root tea is made from chicory root, a distant cousin to the dandelion. It has a similar flavor profile as coffee with some additional hints of woodiness. So it will taste very similar to your morning cup of joe without the added caffeine content! Learn all about chicory root tea below!
Chicory Root Tea: Benefits
Chicory contains inulin which can help with digestion, inflammation, and lowering blood sugar. If you’re allergic to certain plants (like ragweed) then you should approach chicory with caution and a doctor’s approval. If you’ve got the green light, then I’ve got some suggestions for how to prepare and enjoy your new morning routine!
Chicory Root Tea: Tools
If you’re reading to jump into the fad, then there are a couple of tools that you’re going to want to have in order for your morning cuppa to be successful. I’d suggest grabbing this electric kettle if you’re in the mood for something that’s going to make your morning smooth sailing. It has easy controls and is super customizable for the type of tea you’re drinking. Alternatively, you could grab this tea kettle. It comes with some awesome controls and is great for making tea on the fly. Grab a chicory tea sampler here and you’re almost ready to go!
Once you have your kettle, all that’s left is your cup. Yes, you can grab some beautiful teacups like these, but if your mornings are like mine, chances are that you don’t have time to sit and enjoy a cup before work. Try grabbing a tea infusing thermos like this to make your morning routine quick and simple.
Chicory Tea Recipes
This recipe is great if you’re looking for something a little more than just a morning cup of joe. The cinnamon and coconut oil round out the flavor and make this more like a latte than a plain cup of black coffee. If you want to brew just a cup of chicory root tea, then follow the second recipe and you’ll have something that is almost identical to your morning cup of coffee.
Recipe 01: Cinnamon and Spice Chicory Tea
Cinnamon and Spice Chicory Tea
- Tea Kettle
- 2 tsp chicory root ground
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 c water
- Start by placing the water in your tea kettle and setting it to the coffee temp. When the water is ready, pour it over the chicory root and cinnamon stick and allow to steep for 3-5 minutes. Remove the tea and cinnamon stick and place the brewed tea into a blender with the coconut oil and blend on high for 15-30 seconds. Then serve and enjoy!
Recipe 02: Chicory Tea
Chicory Root Coffee Alternative
- 2 tbsp roasted chicory root granules
- 1 c. filtered water
- 1 c. milk
- 1 tsp. sweetener of choice
- Begin by brewing 1 tbsp. of the chicory root with 2 cups of water either in your kettle or French Press. While the water is boiling, bring the cup of milk almost to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the chicory tea is brewed and the milk is hot, divide between two cups and sweeten with your desired sweetener and enjoy!
Enjoy the deliciousness without all the caffeine. Happy brewing! And just in case you need some more ideas for breakfast drinks, try this delicious and nutritious sea moss smoothie.