Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast Recipe 02: Stuffed Chicken Breast with Spinach and Mozzarella
This recipe comes together in just under 30 minutes and is jam packed full of flavor. The mozzarella cheese adds a creamy touch to this tender chicken dish. You can serve it with rice or al dente pasta to round out the meal.
Stuffed Chicken with Mozzarella and Spinach
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts butterflied
- 3 tbsp. olive oil divided
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 c. fresh baby spinach
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ c. chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by making the marinara sauce. Saute the onion and garlic in half of the olive oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. The onion and garlic should be fragrant and clear before you add in the tomato and chicken stock. Simmer the mixture for about 15 minutes until the sauce reduces. Then mix in the sugar and vinegar before adding salt if necessary. When the sauce is done, place in a covered container and keep warm.
- While the sauce is reducing, place the remaining olive oil and garlic in a skillet set over medium-high heat. Then add in the spinach and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside while you prepare the chicken.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts by slicing lengthwise down the middle. Then season both sides of the chicken chicken with salt and pepper before placing a slice of mozzarella in the chicken and spooning half the spinach mixture in the middle and securing closed with a skewer. Cook the chicken in a skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes on each side. Then pour the tomato sauce around the chicken and allow to simmer before serving.