Aunt Jemima Dessert Recipe 02: Red Velvet Cookies
Red velvet cookies are so underrated. While they might not have as much of a flavor punch as chocolate, they are truly a fancy cookie. They go well with a multitude of holidays. And when you pair them with the right cream cheese frosting, they are total show-stoppers. You can totally top them with some red velvet crumbles, or you can spring for something festive like these darling patriotic sprinkles!
Aunt Jemima’s Red Velvet Cookies
- 1 ½ c. Aunt Jemima Original Pancake Mix
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ c. sugar
- ½ c. butter softened
- 1 tbsp. red food coloring
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 2 oz. cream cheese softened
- 2 tbsp. butter softened
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Begin by heating your oven to 325°F and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. Now it's time to make the cookies! In your mixer, combine the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Then add in the egg and food coloring and beat until combined before slowing adding in the pancake mix and cocoa powder. Continue to mix on low until your dough forms, then add in the vanilla extract. Place the dough in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up.
- While the dough is chilling, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together until creamy and light. With the mixer on low, slowly add in the powdered sugar and continue to mix until smooth. Place the frosting in the fridge until you're ready to frost. When the dough is done setting, remove from the fridge and shape into 36-1 inch balls. Place on the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and using your thumb or a spoon, flatten the dough balls slightly.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until they are set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting, otherwise your frosting will melt! Serve and enjoy!