Simple Yeastless Bread Recipe
This yeastless bread is just about as basic as it gets! Simply mix, give a knead or two, and pop into the oven. Then all you have to do is try to contain yourself while it bakes and cools. This bread is really best when it’s toasted. Whether you opt to toast it in a traditional toaster or broil in your oven is totally up to you. Why not try throwing a slice of tomato and some cheese on top for an open grilled cheese sandwich? Yum.
Simple Yeastless Bread
- 2 c. flour plus more for kneading
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 c. buttermilk (or substitute)
- 3 tbsp. butter melted and divided
- Start by heating your oven to 375° F and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. Next mix the flour, baking soda, and salt together until combined. Create a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour the buttermilk and 2 tbsp. of melted butter into the middle. Then mix until you have a dough form before scraping the dough out onto a floured surface. Sprinkle some additional flour over the top and lightly knead the dough no more than 8 times. If you knead it more it will be really tough and difficult to eat. Form the dough into a 6-inch round dome and place on your parchment lined baking sheet. Remember that this dough won't rise-so don't allow it to sit for a long period of time.
- Before baking, use a sharp knife to cut an "x" across the top of the dome. Then brush the remaining butter across the top of the dome. Bake the bread for about 35 minutes or until it's golden brown and not doughy in the middle. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing and serving. Enjoy!