Pegan Recipe 03: Vegan Walnut Taco Meat
This substitute taco meat is one for the books! It uses walnuts as a base for the meat, which works well for texture and flavor.
Vegan Walnut Taco Meat
Flavorful and a good dose of protein, this recipe is versatile and a family favorite.
- 1 c. raw walnuts
- 12 oz. cauliflower florets
- 8-10 oz. Baby Bella mushrooms
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 ½ tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¾ tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. coconut sugar
- Start by heating your oven to 350°F. Then place your walnuts on a baking sheet and roast for about 8-10 minutes. They should be slightly darker and fragrant. Take them out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Next, turn the oven to 400°F. Toss your cauliflower and mushrooms with the olive oil and then place on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Roast those veggies for about twenty minutes, or until they turn a golden brown. Mix all your spices for your taco seasoning and add 1/4 cup to your food processor. Toss in the walnuts and yeast and pulse a few times to incorporate.
- When your veggies are done, allow them to cool just enough that you can touch them to add to your processor. Then pulse a few more times until incorporated but still chunky. Now comes the fun part-taste! Add more seasoning/salt as you desire and pulse an additional time. Serve with your chosen mode-homemade tortillas, cheese tortilla, or on a bed of lettuce.