Burger toppings can make or break a burger along with the seasoning and cooking of the actual patty.
Moreover, for many people, the toppings are what play the most crucial role in taking a burger from good to great.
There’s nothing really wrong with the classic, old-fashioned mustard, ketchup, tomato, and onion. However, it’s time to take your burger to another level with some delicious burger toppings.
Must-Have Burger Toppings on Your Burger
Whether it’s a juicy beef burger, turkey burger, or cheeseburger, these burger toppings will take your burger from good to great!
Pickled Red Onions
You know what’s better than plain onions? Pickled red onions!
One should always have a jar of pickled red onions in their refrigerator because these make excellent burger toppings.
Here’s how you can prepare it:
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- ¾ cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Take a small bowl and mix together water, salt, sugar, and cider vinegar.
- Let the salt and sugar dissolve properly.
- Then, add the sliced red onions into a large glass jar.
- Pour the mixture that you prepared earlier on top of it.
- You can also add a garlic clove, whole black peppercorns, or herbs of your choice.
- Finally, let it sit at room temperature for about 2 hours, and then place the jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Onion is such a versatile ingredient and makes one of the best burger toppings in so many different forms!
After pickled red onions, we have caramelized onions that taste so delicious even on their own.
Caramelizing sliced onions by cooking them in some oil until they achieve a nice brown color is a great way to pull maximum flavor out of them.
- 2 sliced onions (red, white, or yellow)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Extra virgin olive oil (as required)
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Take a wide-bottomed sauté pan, coat it with oil or melt some butter over it.
- Heat it until you see bubbles appearing on the side.
- Add the onion slices to the pan and stir well till they are completely covered in oil or butter.
- Spread the onions out evenly and give it an occasional stir.
- Sprinkle some salt and sugar and toss them together.
- Mix well and let the onion cook until it begins to brown.
- Add a little water if the onion is sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- If you want the onions to be really brown, the key is to leave them alone without mixing or stirring too much.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan and give them a quick stir.
- In the end, you can add a little bit of balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan and bring more flavor to the caramelized onions.
They say, when in doubt, add some bacon to your burger!
Bacon is one of the most popular burger toppings that a lot of people put in their burgers for that satisfying crunch in every bite.
So, make it extra crispy and take your burger to a whole other level!
When paired with grilled onions, cheddar cheese, jalapenos, and dill pickles, barbecue sauce in a burger truly elevates its flavor.
Moreover, when you can’t think of any other burger sauce topping, drizzle some barbecue sauce on your burger.
Other Basic Yet Classic Burger Toppings
- Iceberg lettuce
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Pickle slices
- Buffalo sauce
- Honey mustard
- Fried egg
- Hot sauce
These burger toppings will add so much depth, flavor, and aroma to even a simple, plain cheeseburger. From different types of sauces to pickled vegetables, there are so many amazing burger toppings that you can put in your burger to elevate its taste!