Shaped like a cupcake but still a very cheesy pizza, pizza cupcakes are the new fun and unique way to have pizza on the go!
If you’re a true pizza lover, you’d know that this delicious Italian dish comes in different sizes and shapes now.
A pizza cupcake is definitely different from the traditional triangular slice in terms of shape. However, it has all those components and ingredients that you love in a pizza.
Imagine a soft dough soaking up a layer of tomato sauce followed by lots of cheese, pepperoni, sausage, olives, mushrooms, and so much more!
You can put as many toppings of your choice as you like but in the shape of a cupcake!
The Best Recipe for Pizza Cupcakes
We have a super easy and simple recipe for pizza cupcakes that you ought to try at home. Be it a kids’ party at home or an on-the-go snack, pizza cupcakes fit all sorts of occasions and events.
To make delicious, cheesy pizza cupcakes at home, you will need the following ingredients.
- 1 can of refrigerated pizza crust or crescent rolls
- ¼ cup cooked Italian sausage
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup store-bought pizza sauce
- ¼ cup pepperoni slices
- 1.5 tablespoons dried Italian herbs seasoning
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- A handful of sliced olives
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Take a muffin tray and grease it with olive oil or cooking spray.
- If you are crescent rolls, simply unroll the dough and separate the triangles. Then, press the dough gently into the muffin cups one by one.
- If, however, you are using pizza crust, roll it out on a floured surface.
- Cut circles in the dough using a 4-inch round biscuit or cookie cutter.
- Push the dough into the greased muffin cups and make sure to cover the sides.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of shredded mozzarella cheese into each cup. You can also add cheddar cheese if you like.
- Then, spread a layer of pizza sauce on top of the cheese until fully covered.
- Add the vegetables to each cup, followed by pepperoni slices, the remaining cheese, and sausage.
- Sprinkle dried Italian herbs seasoning on top and red chili flakes if you like.
- If you like your pizza to be super cheesy, top it off with more shredded cheese.
- Repeat the process until all the muffin cups are filled.
- Bake the pizza cupcakes for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned and the cheese begins to bubble.
- Remove from the oven once done, take the cupcakes out and enjoy while they are hot!
- Sprinkle more chili flakes and dried Italian herbs seasoning on top for added flavor.
The best thing about these pizza cupcakes is that they are such a fun and easy way to enjoy pizza on the go!
They also make great little snacks for an evening party, for instance, as well as appetizers before the main course.
Another great thing is you can easily freeze uncooked pizza cupcakes in a zip-lock plastic bag for a few days. So, the next time you are craving pizza in the middle of the night, simply take these pizza cupcakes out of the freezer. Then, defrost them in the microwave for a minute, bake in the oven and enjoy with a side of your favorite sauce!
Who knew pizza cupcakes were so easy to make and also super delicious and cheesy!
Want some more delicious recipes? Check out this article on Burger Toppings!