When you talk about Mexican food, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Well, it’s probably things like tostadas, burritos, and tacos, to name a few. There’s no denying the fact that all of these are super delightful Mexican treats. But, for many people, there are other authentic Mexican dishes that come to mind, one of which is the Mexican pozole, and boy do we have an amazing Mexican pozole recipe for you.
Delicious comfort food and a hearty bowl of soup, Mexican Pozole is an absolute must-try dish because it will definitely leave you craving for more.
It’s an amazingly flavorful meal featuring a rich broth made with hominy, pork, and various other ingredients that people have enjoyed devouring over the centuries. Therefore, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t try it at home!
The Best Mexican Pozole Recipe for You to Try
Whether or not you’ve had Mexican pozole before, we have the best recipe for you to make it at home and share a few laughs over delicious food with your loved ones.
- Pork shoulder – 1½ lbs.
- Pork broth – 3-5 cups
- Drained and rinsed white hominy – 4 cups
- Whole dried ancho chilies – 2
- Whole fresh jalapenos – 2
- Diced green chilies – 1
- Garlic cloves – 3
- Chopped onion – 1
- Cumin powder – 1.5 tablespoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Cayenne – 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Chili powder – 2 tablespoons
- Bay leaf – 1
- Whole cloves – 1 tsp
- Oregano – ¼ teaspoon
- Chicken broth – 3 cups
- Salt – as per taste
- Lemon wedges
- Chopped cilantro
- Fried corn tortillas
- Sliced radishes
- Sliced green cabbage
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic along with green chilies and jalapenos.
- Drain and rinse the hominy.
- Then, boil dried ancho chilies in a small pot for about fifteen minutes separately to be used later for garnishing.
- Take a large saucepan and fill it with lightly salted water and add the meat.
- After that, add in the chopped garlic, half chopped onion, oregano, pepper, clove, and bay leaf.
- Then, bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat and then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 1 hour and skim off any foam that collects on the top.
- Meanwhile, take the boiled ancho chilies from earlier, place them in a blender along with the soaking liquid. Additionally, a clove of garlic, some diced onion, salt, and pepper and blend until it becomes smooth.
- Now, remove the meat and reserve the broth for later.
- Take a pot and sauté the remaining chopped garlic and onion in a little bit of oil.
- Then, stir in the remaining spices.
- Once that’s done, cut the pork into small one-inch pieces and add it to the pan.
- After that, add the remaining pork broth, canned hominy, and some chicken stock for added flavor.
- Throw in the jalapenos and green chilies as well.
- Next, add the chili puree to the soup for spice and flavor.
- Allow it to cook on a simmer for another 50 minutes or so until both the hominy and meat are perfectly tender.
- Taste the stew for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Finally, serve pozole in soup bowls and garnish with cilantro, cabbage, radish, lemon wedges, and fried corn tortillas.
A Must Try Mexican Pozole Recipe!
This Mexican pozole recipe is a must-try, and while it might seem like a lot of work, it’s actually quite simple! Looking for more Mexican recipes? Check out this article on 9 recipes for taco Tuesday!