Kung Pao Pork is an interesting variant of Kung Pao chicken. It is a spicy yet rather delectable dish. Although you can find Kung Pao pork at a restaurant, you can also make it at home yourself.
Preparing this delicacy is definitely easy. The cooking procedure can be divided into two simple steps:
- Marinating and frying
- Creating the sauce and mixing all ingredients together
Remember that peanuts are an essential part of Kung Pao pork. But, make sure that people who would eat this dish are not allergic to peanuts.
It is best to have Kung Pao pork with fried rice. However, if unavailable, you can opt for either white or brown rice. Furthermore, the entire dish takes about 15 minutes to cook.
Kung Pao Pork – Ingredients You Need
Here is a list of the major ingredients required to prepare this delicious platter:
- Olive Oil (3 tbsp)
- Pork tenderloin thinly cut (2 oz.)
- 1 onion (large and sliced)
- 3-4 jalapeno peppers (sliced)
- ½ cup water
- 1-4 hot red peppers (diced)
- 3 tsp garlic ginger root (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- Peanuts (2-3 tbsp)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar (plain)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp corn starch
- 3 tbsp water
Directions to Make Kung Pao Pork
Making Kung Pao pork first requires preparation, after which you can start cooking.
- First, slice the pork into thin parts and keep it in a small bowl.
- Second, cut the onions and jalapenos and transfer them into a serving dish.
- Then, prepare the sauce in a separate bowl. You can add hot water to ensure that the corn starch dissolves.
- Next, cut the red peppers, ginger, and garlic. You can keep them in a small container or let them stay on the cutting board.
- Finally, make sure the peanuts are ready.
Cooking Kung Pao Pork
Now that you are done with the basic preparation, it is time to begin cooking. To begin with, add 1 tablespoon of oil into a frying pan or wok. Once it is warm enough, cook pork in it on high heat. Afterward, take out the pork and keep it in a different dish.
Meanwhile, add another tablespoon of cooking oil to the wok and fry onions and jalapenos in it. Stir fry for a minute and then add ½ cup of water. Then, place a lid on the wok and keep it covered for 10 minutes so that the vegetables can soften up.
Next step, remove the vegetables and drain them. Transfer the vegetables into the serving dish and add cooked pork to it.
Following that, add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, and add red pepper, garlic, and ginger to it. Keep stirring lightly until the pepper turns darker in color. Finally, add the peanuts and let the mix cook for 30 seconds.
Now, add the cooked pork and vegetable mixture into the pan followed by the sauce. As you stir, you will observe the sauce thicken. After that, remove it from heat and serve on your table with rice.
In conclusion, Kung Pao pork is easy to prepare and without a doubt tastes great, too! You can tweak the ingredients to make it as spicy as you want. If you don’t enjoy peanuts, almonds and cashews are good alternatives. Use this recipe for Kung Pao pork if you are in the mood for some delicious food for lunch or dinner.