If you haven’t seen all the hype surrounding the bubble waffle, then you’re not alone. However, if you love breakfast foods, then it’s time you hop on this bubbly bandwagon! Bubble Waffles are a street food that hails from Hong Kong and is known as gai daan zai, or “little eggs” in Cantonese. This street food has become an Insta superstar which has turned it into the must-have breakfast food of the moment. So hop on this bubble bandwagon and let’s get cooking!
The first thing you need to do is purchase a bubble waffle maker. There are a couple of different cooking methods, but I’m all for what’s easy, which is definitely this electric bubble waffle maker. It’s not super expensive and it is really easy to cook your bubble waffles and clean up when you’re done.
Now that you have your waffle maker, you’re ready to hop in with both feet and make some tasty recipes. So, without further ado, here are some recipes that you can’t blow when using your bubble waffle maker!
Bubble Waffles Recipe 01: Basics Bubbles
This is the basic recipe that you can use as a base for any meal-from ice cream cones to tacos! I’d suggest using a bottle of some sort to squeeze the mix into the waffle maker. That way you avoid getting mix where you don’t want it.
Basic Bubble Waffle
- Bubble Waffle Iron
- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ c. milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅓ c. butter melted
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. flour plus 2 Tbsp.
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 6 egg whites beaten to stiff peaks
- cooking spray
- Start by plugging your bubble maker in and getting it up to temp. While it's heating up, whisk together the yolks, vanilla, milk, butter, and sugar in a mixing bowl until well combined. Next, in a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt together until incorporated. Then whisk the egg yolk mix into the flour mix until you have a smooth batter that is well blended.
- The next step is to gently add the egg whites to the egg yolk mixture. Start by gently folding about a third of the egg whites (beaten into stiff peaks) into the batter. Then continue adding egg whites into the batter and folding until evenly combined.
- Now that your batter is done, you're ready to make your waffles! It's important to make sure you coat your waffle maker with a non-stick spray before cooking. Some reviews suggest doing so before you heat up the waffle iron, but you do you. Begin by pouring about 3/4 c. of the batter into the waffle iron and close the lid. Next, flip the waffle iron over 180 degrees on both sides so that the batter can coat each of the bubbles. When the machine beeps, the waffles are done! If you want your waffles a little more crispy, then leave them in an additional minute past the timer. Last, remove with a spatula and set aside. You can turn these into tacos, waffle cones for ice cream, or whatever your heart desires!
Bubble Waffles Recipe 02: Bubble Waffle Cones
Everything is better when a little ice cream is involved. Get creative here with toppings: marshmallows, gummy bears, whipped cream, you name it! You really want to make sure you have the cups so that you don’t end up with a big mess on your hands.
Bubble Waffle Ice Cream Cones
- cooked bubble waffles
- 1 c. fresh fruit strawberries, raspberries, etc
- 2 c. ice cream flavor of choice
- ⅓ c. chocolate sauce, strawberry sauce, caramel sauce
- ⅓ c. crushed cookies Oreos, graham crackers, etc.
- paper cups
- Begin by making your bubble waffles. It's a good idea to make these a little bit extra crispy so that they don't absorb too much of the ice cream. When the waffles are hot and fresh off the iron, remove with a spatula and immediately form into cones. Then place inside of paper cups or wrap with parchment paper. This will help the shape to stay. Last, scoop a scoop or two of ice cream into the cone and top with desired toppings. Serve and enjoy!
Bubble Waffles Recipe 03: Bubble Waffle Sandwiches
These are great on the go, and they provide just enough crisp to softness ratio! You can modify the sandwiches to fit anyone’s taste profile, just be creative. Adding an over-easy egg, cooked bacon, and fresh veggies can make this sandwich one in a million.
Bubble Waffle Sandwich
- 4 bubble waffles
- 4 pieces butter lettuce
- ½ lb. sliced turkey
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 1 tomato sliced
- 4 slices American cheese sliced
- Optional: mayo, ranch dressing, mustard, etc.
- Once you've made your bubble waffles, simply fold them in half and set aside. Next, set up a buffet or assemble the sandwiches on your own, and serve! These are portable, easy to eat on the go, and entirely delicious.
- There you have it! The next time you're looking to spice up your dessert or your dinner, try pulling your bubble waffle maker out and seeing what you can concoct. From walking tacos to sandwiches to ice cream cones, the possibilities are endless!
How do you see yourself using bubble waffles? I’d love to hear your recipes in the comments section below!