Recipe 02: Spiced Brown Sugar Cookies
These sugar cookies need no frosting to give them flavor! The brown sugar and spices create a flavor profile that will practically scream Christmas to your taste buds. You can drizzle a thin sugar glaze over the top of these to add a sheen, but the cookies don’t lack in flavor or sweetness.
Spiced Brown Sugar Cookies
- Embossed Rolling Pin
- 5 oz. butter room temperature
- 1 ¼ c. dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 ¼ c. flour
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ¾ tsp. dried ginger powder
- ½ tsp. powdered anise seeds
- ½ tsp. finely crushed black pepper
- Begin by creaming the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Then add the eggs and vanilla and continue to whisk. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices before adding slowly to the butter mixture and beat until just combined. Do not overwork the dough! If the dough is sticky, add a little flour a tsp. at a time. If the dough seems dry, add milk a tsp. at a time until you have a good dough.
- When the dough is done, divide in half and shape into two disks before wrapping in plastic wrap and allowing to set in the fridge for at least two hours.
- When the dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 350°F and prep two baking sheets with parchment paper. Then remove the dough from the fridge and roll out the dough one disk at a time over a floured surface until you have about a ¼" thickness.
- Next, using even pressure, roll the embossed pin over the top of the dough. Then use a cup, round cookie cutter, or other desired shape to cut out cookies. Place cookies on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 10-13 minutes until the edges just start to brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Serve and enjoy!
Now that you know how to make embossed cookies and have two delicious recipes to use, it’s time to get baking. The next time you find yourself out of time, try using one of these! They are sure to please kids and adults. Happy Baking!