10 Healthy “Food Swaps”
Try these healthy food swap ideas for healthier eating habits. We’ve all been there-trying to balance your diet with what’s easy and available. Well, I’m here to tell you that with a few tweaks, you can definitely reduce those calories and carbs and be a little more health conscious with these ten food swaps. And if you’re in the mood for some swaps, try swapping out your usual dishes for these darling dishes.
- Instead of a bagel, swap it out with an english muffin. In general english muffins have less carbs because of their process to rise. They are also crazy easy to make yourself at home! So the next time you’re at a brunch, or planning one, try adding in some english muffins into the mix! You wont regret making this healthy food swap!
- Instead of low-fat milk, use Greek yogurt! Not only does greek yogurt have better flavor, it’s definitely creamier and can add a lot to that morning granola!
- Instead of bread, use a wrap. This might definitely seem like a no-brainer. A slice of bread can have 80+ calories in it as well as some decent sugar. A wrap, however, typically has only 100 calories. Plus, it puts more emphasis on the filling, which is where it should be.
- Instead of crackers, use apples! Apples provide the same great crunch as crackers do, minus the carbs and wheat. Plus if you switch up the apples you can switch up the flavor and add depth to your snacks.
- Instead of a bran muffin, have a bowl of Raisin Bran. You’ll get more fiber than from the muffin, and if you add in Greek yogurt, you’re adding in extra protein as well! It’s definitely a win-win.
- Instead of high calorie toppings, top oatmeal with apples and honey! The oatmeal adds some tangy crunch and the honey adds a touch of sweetness without all the added refined sugars.
- Instead of peanuts (or any nuts really) try snacking on edamame! Edamame has some fabulous protein and firm texture without the added fats. Sprinkle a little salt, maybe dip into a little soy sauce and you’ve got yourself a wonderful snack that is both filling and flavorful.
- Instead of cheese and crackers, use multigrain flatbread to make your combo! Spread with ricotta cheese and drizzle with honey. This makes for a snack that is creamy and slightly sweet.
- Instead of sausage patties, fry up some center cut bacon! Who doesn’t love bacon? It’s salty, crispy, and only 25 calories per slice.
- Is that cinnamon roll calling your name? Try swapping it out with two pieces of cinnamon raisin toast. It’ll give you the warm cinnamon taste without all the sugary calories.
And there you have it! 10 healthy food swaps for the next time you’re trying to watch your waistline. Making a few small changes can help you keep your healthy goals in sight without sacrificing flavor or mentioning that dreaded D-word (diet).
Food Swaps via Buzzfeed